Special Educational Needs and Disability

  • Where can I see the most recent SEN Information Report?

    The most recent SEN information report can be viewed at this link SEN Information Report

  • The kinds of Special Educational Needs for which provision is made at the school

    Lee-on-the-Solent Junior School is a mainstream junior school. We are committed to offering an inclusive curriculum to ensure the best possible progress for all our pupils, whatever their needs or abilities. All pupils are entitled to full access to a broad and balanced curriculum, including the National Curriculum.  We work in close partnership with parents/carers who play an active and valued role in their child’s education.   

  • How does your school know if children need extra help and what should I do if I think my child has special educational needs?

    At different times in their school life, a child or young person may have a special educational need.  The Code of Practice 2014 defines SEN as follows:

    “A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special education provision to be made for him or her. A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:

    a) has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others the same age, or

    b) has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions.”

    Where a child’s’ progress is significantly slower than that of their peers, or fails to match their previous rate of progress, despite high quality teaching targeted at specific areas of difficulty, it may be that the child has SEND.  Information will be gathered, including seeking the views of parents and the pupil, as well as from teachers and assessments.  This information gathering may or may not, involve liaison with external agencies.  It will also involve liaison with the previous school, if a child has recently joined our school.

    There are many reasons for learners ‘falling behind’ such as attendance, moving schools or short term worries that distract from learning.  Children who experience these barriers to learning are vulnerable.  This does not mean that all vulnerable learners have SEND.   Only those with a learning difficulty that requires special educational provision will be identified as having SEND.

  • How will both you and I know how my child is doing and how will you help me to support my child’s learning?

    • If your child is on the SEND register they will have individual targets.  This is discussed/reviewed on a termly basis and SEND provision is documented in a class provision map.  This information will be shared with parents.
    • The targets set are: SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Time scaled) with the expectation that your child will achieve the target by the time it is reviewed.
    • When your child’s SEND provision is reviewed, outcomes are recorded to show what progress has been made. If your child has not met the target, the reasons for this will be discussed, then the target may be adapted into smaller steps or a different approach may be tried to ensure your child does make progress.
    • If your child has complex SEND they may have an Education and Health Care Plan (EHCP) which means that a formal meeting will take place annually to discuss your child’s progress and a report will be written.  This will be in addition to all the other opportunities to discuss progress.
    • The SENCo reports to the Governors every term to inform them about the progress of children with SEND; this report does not refer to individual children and confidentiality is maintained at all times.
    • As a school we measure your child’s learning progress against age related expectations.
    • The class teacher continually assesses each child and notes areas where they are improving and where further support is needed.  As a school, we track your child’s progress from entry at Year 3 through to Year 6, using a variety of different methods including National Curriculum statements, reading ages, spelling ages and other information such as a strength and difficulties questionnaires.
    • Your child’s progress will be discussed at termly Pupil Progress Meetings which are held between the class teachers and the Headteacher.
    • The Governors have an Inclusion sub-committee which consists of 5 members (one of which is the SENCo).  This committee meets once a term and provides a report to the Governors termly.
    • The Governors agree priorities for spending within the SEND budget with the overall aim that all children receive the support they need in order to make progress.

    An SEN Governor will attend the Annual Reviews of children with EHCPs

  • How will school staff support my child?

    • The class teacher is responsible for working with your child on a daily basis and will oversee, plan and work with your child to ensure that progress is made.
    • High quality teaching, differentiated for individual children is the first step in responding to children who have or may have SEND.
    • There may be a Teaching Assistant (TA) working with your child if this is seen as necessary by the class teacher.  This support may be provided in class, on a 1:1 basis or as part of a small group of learners with similar needs.  The regularity and purpose of these sessions will be explained to you when the support starts.
    • Where an intervention involves group or one-to-one teaching away from the main class teacher, they still retain responsibility for the pupil.
    • The SENCo supports the class teacher in the further assessment of the child’s particular strengths and weaknesses, in problem solving and advising on the effective implementation of any additional support.  She liaises regularly with class teachers to discuss children.
  • How will the curriculum at your school be matched to my child’s needs?

    • All work within class is pitched at an appropriate level so that your child is able to access their learning according to their specific needs.
    • If it is necessary, your child may be given opportunities to use alternative methods for recording their work and given additional access to technology to support their learning.  
  • How is the decision made about what type of and how much support my child will receive?

    • The class teacher, alongside the SENCo will discuss your child’s needs and what support would be appropriate.  
    • This will be through on going discussions with you.
    • The support provided, and its impact in class, will be monitored closely and shared regularly with you and your child.
    • If your child is making progress academically against age expected levels and the gap is narrowing they are catching up with their peers.
    • Your child may come off the SEN register when they have caught up or made sufficient progress.
  • What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing?

    • We are an inclusive school; we welcome and celebrate diversity.  All staff believe that a child’s high level of self-esteem is crucial to a child’s well-being.  We have a caring, understanding team looking after our children.
    • The class teacher has overall responsibility for the pastoral, medical and social care of every child in their class, therefore this should be your first point of contact.  
    • If further support is required the class teacher liaises with the SENCo for further advice.  This may involve working alongside outside agencies such as Hampshire Educational Psychology Service, Health Services, Social Services and the Primary Behaviour Service.
    • The school also has two ELSAs (Emotional Literacy Support Assistant) who work under the direction of the SENCo.  They work with vulnerable children and parents during the school day.
    • We have a Child and Family Support Worker and a Home School Link Worker who supports our children and families.
    • The school has a policy regarding the administration and managing of medicines on the school site.
    • Please contact your child’s class teacher if medication has been recommended to be taken during the school day.
    • On a day to day basis the Admin Staff generally oversee the administration of any medicines. 
  • What training is provided for staff supporting children and young people with SEND?

    • The SENCo is Ms Carolyn Westrop and she can be contacted via the school office and on 02392 550551.
    • Ms Westrop is a qualified and experienced teacher. 
    • We have two members of staff trained as ELSAs who receive regular support from an Educational Psychologist.
    • Our TAs have had training in delivering interventions.
    • All staff receive safe-guarding training annually.
    • Teacher advisors visit our school regularly and advise staff who are supporting children with specific SEND - visual impairment, hearing impairment and physical disability.
    • TAs receive training in manual handling procedures in relation to the care of individual children.
    • As a school we work closely with any external agencies that we feel are relevant to the needs of individual children within our school including: - Educational Psychologists, Primary Behaviour Service, Health professionals and Children’s Services. 
    • As a staff we have regular training and update sessions on conditions and medication affecting individual children so that staff are able to manage medical situations. 
  • How accessible is your school (indoors and outdoors)?

    • The school site is wheelchair accessible with three disabled toilets.  One of these is large enough to accommodate a changing bed. The school is all on one level with ramps at specified fire exits.
    • All children are included in all parts of the school curriculum and we aim for all children to be included on school trips. We will provide the necessary support to ensure that this is successful.
      • A risk assessment is carried out prior to any off site activity to ensure everyone’s health & safety will not be compromised. In the unlikely event that it is considered unsafe for a child to take part in an activity, then alternative activities which will cover the same curriculum areas will be provided in school.
      • An individual risk assessment will be carried out for children with complex SEND to enable them to take part in off-site activities.

    The advisory teachers for visual impairment, hearing impairment and physical disability provide specialist equipment for individual children and ensure that staff have the relevant training to use such equipment.

  • How are parent carers/young people currently involved in your school? How can I get involved and who can I contact for further information?

    • We offer an open door policy where you are welcome any time to make an appointment to meet with either the class teacher or SENCo and discuss how your child is getting on. We can offer advice and practical ways that you can help your child at home.
    • We believe that your child’s education should be a partnership between parents and teachers, therefore we aim to keep communication channels open and communicate regularly. 
    • The class teacher will meet with you on a termly basis (this could be as part of Parents’ Evening) to discuss your child’s needs, support and progress.
    • For further information the SENCo is available to discuss support in more detail.
    • We are a Rights Respecting school where we value and celebrate each child having the opportunity to express their views on all aspects of school life. This is usually carried out through the Learning Council which has an open forum for any issues or viewpoints to be raised.
    • We use pupil questionnaires to seek the viewpoints of children.

    If your child has an EHCP their views will be sought before any review meeting.

  • What steps should I take if I have a concern about the school’s SEND provision?

    If you have any concerns about the SEND provision for your child, please talk to us.  We will listen and aim to resolve any problems.  Initially discuss your concerns with your child’s class teacher.  If further information or discussion is needed then the SENCo can be contacted through the school office, as can the Headteacher and other members of the senior management team.  Complaints may also be made to the governors.

  • How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school, transfer to a new school, or transition to the next stage of life?

    • We have an excellent relationship with our feeder infant school and a comprehensive transition programme takes place over the summer term to enable the Year 2 children to become very familiar with our school and staff.  Each Year 2 child buddies up with a Year 3 child for the period of the transition programme.
    • For children with SEND, there is always the opportunity for further visits.
    • We complete transition booklets with children for whom transition is a challenging time.  These are used for transition between infant and junior school, junior and secondary school and also for transition between year groups. 
    • We liaise closely with staff when receiving and transferring children to different schools ensuring all relevant paperwork is passed on and all needs are discussed and understood.
    • If your child has complex needs then a Transition Partnership Agreement (TPA) meeting will take place between ourselves and the receiving school, to which you will be invited.  This enables us to share and record all the information relevant your child’s SEND and discuss what provision might be available at the new school.  
  • Where can I get further information about services for my child?

    The Hampshire Local Offer website contains all the information about education, health and care services, leisure activities and support groups that families of children and young people with SEND can access.  The link is: www.hantslocaloffer.info

    Information is also available at Hampshire County Council’s Support4SEND (formerly Parent Partnership Service) on 01962 845870 or www3.hants.gov.uk/support4send