At Lee-on-the-Solent Junior School we teach the National Curriculum for Mathematics.
The National Curriculum for Mathematics calls for children to:
· become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, including through varied and frequent practice with increasingly complex problems over time, so that pupils develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately
· reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and generalisations, and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language
· solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions
It introduces the idea of ‘mastering’ the subject and that all children are aiming for this achievement.
At Lee-on-the-Solent Junior School we have adopted this approach and have adapted our curriculum and teaching methods to meet the needs of the new curriculum. The CPA (concrete, pictorial and abstract) approach to teaching mathematics is being used to support children in developing an understanding of underlying concepts
In daily Maths lessons, pictorial representations and practical resources are used alongside abstract methods to support and aid learning.
In years 3 and 4, key facts from Key Stage 1 are recalled and developed, with gaps in learning addressed as soon as possible.
Across the key stage, a variety activities are used to ensure children’s learning is embedded and can be applied in a variety of different contexts. Problem solving activities are important to assess children’s secure number knowledge.
Problem solving activities, reasoning questions and investigations are used to develop all children’s deeper understanding of the topic that they are being taught.
By using this mastery approach to teaching Mathematics, we are able to ensure that our children are confident with mathematical concepts and ideas before moving forward in their learning.
Copies of our maths curriculum are available to download below:
- Maths Curriculum Overview
- Year 3 Medium Term Planning Maths Phase 2
- Year 3 Medium Term Planning Maths Phase 3
- Year 3 Medium Term Planning Maths Phase 4
- Year 3 Medium Term Planninng Maths Phase 1
- Year 4 Medium Term Planning Maths Phase 1
- Year 4 Medium Term Planning Maths Phase 2
- Year 4 Medium Term Planning Maths Phase 4
- Year 5 Medium Term Planning Maths Phase 1
- Year 5 Medium Term Planning Maths Phase 2
- Year 5 Medium term Planning Maths Phase 3
- Year 5 Medium Term Planning Maths Phase 4
- Year 6 Medium Term Planning Maths Phase 1
- Year 6 Medium Term Planning Maths Phase 2
- Year 6 Medium Term Planning Maths Phase 3
- Year4 Medium Term Planning Maths Phase 3
Paper Copies of curriculum information are available from the school office. Please ask for Mrs Collins who will be happy to help